It is estimated that more than 10,00,000 people die each year due to tobacco use in India
world over 60,00,000 people die annually due to tobacco use
About CTCHP - Centre for Tobacco Control and Health Promotion
The Centre for Tobacco Control and Health Promotion (CTCHP) aims to initiate a ‘domain of discourse’ for tobacco control and strengthen tobacco control activities, particularly at the sub-national level. The website provides access to resources on tobacco control in India and international best practices as well as published research work and case-studies that strengthen the evidence for tobacco control activities.
The objectives of this website are:
- To act as a platform for public discourse on tobacco control
- To implement Article 12 of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control by strengthening efforts to raise public awareness, communicate and train a larger audience about tobacco control, particularly at the sub-national level.
- To act as an interactive platform for media advocacy by providing essential, updated information.
- To inform and sensitize officials, stakeholders and public, and serve as a forum for discussion.
- To Support on-line activities focused on furthering tobacco control and distance learning courses.
The web portal will inform multiple stakeholders on National Tobacco Control Programme (NTCP) implementation status in India. It will be updated consistently on district level tobacco control activities and international best practices, and include micro-sites on the law and key tobacco control issues, frequently asked questions, support materials and strategies for developing smoke-free campaigns, and interactive web-pages, depending upon district tobacco control needs.
The web portal would also provide a delivery platform for the diploma and short-term courses on tobacco control.