It is estimated that more than 10,00,000 people die each year due to tobacco use in India
world over 60,00,000 people die annually due to tobacco use
Aim of the policy research: To produce evidence to support government policy initiatives for FCTC implementation
Policy research has two components:
1. Prohibition of smoking in Public Places:
To develop an intervention model to enhance compliance with smoke free legislation for recommending to the central government for replication.
- To assess the level of smoke free law compliance in public places.
- To provide Intervention to ensure effective enforcement of smoke free legislation.
- To evaluate the impact of intervention on employee health and profits in hospitality Industry in various settings of public places
2. Point of sale (Section 5& 6 of COTPA)
To test a multi-component intervention for restricting access of tobacco products to minors, tobacco sale by minors and to ensure point of sale (PoS) advertising legislation is properly enforced to restrict tobacco advertising to youth
- To assess the level of compliance with section 5 and 6 of COTPA
- To design a multi-component intervention to restrict access of sale to minors
- To assess economic impact of this multi-component intervention on revenue of kiosk vendors